Friday, October 12, 2012
Prophet Saleh(as) & the people of Thamud. Carved Houses out of Mountains...
Salih and the People of Thamud
Here Allah tells us about His servant and Messenger Salih, whom He sent to his people Thamud. Thamud came after `Ad and before Abraham, peace be upon him. Their Prophet Salih called them to Allah, to worship Him alone with no partner or associate, and to obey whatever commands were conveyed to them, but they refused, rejecting him and opposing him. He told them that he did not seek any reward from them for his call to them, but that he would seek the reward for that with Allah. Then he reminded them of the blessings of Allah.
146. "Will ye be left secure, in (the enjoyment of) all that ye have here?-
147. "Gardens and Springs,
148. "And corn-fields and date-palms with spathes near breaking (with the weight of fruit)?
149. "And ye carve houses out of (rocky) mountains with great skill.
150. "But fear Allah and obey me;
151. "And follow not the bidding of those who are extravagant,-
152. "Who make mischief in the land, and mend not (their ways)."
A Reminder to Them of their Circumstances and the Blessings
They enjoyed Salih preached to them, warning them that the punishment of Allah could overtake them and reminding them of the blessings that Allah had bestowed upon them, by giving them ample provision and making them safe from all kinds of dangers, giving them gardens and flowing springs, and bringing forth for them crops and fruits.
So, Salih said to them:
(So, have Taqwa of Allah, and obey me.) Pay attention to that which could benefit you in this world and the Hereafter; worshipping your Lord Who created you, who granted you provisions so that you could worship Him alone and glorify Him morning and evening.
(And follow not the command of the extravagant, who make mischief in the land, and reform not.) meaning, their chiefs and leaders, who called them to Shirk, disbelief and opposition to the truth.
The Response of Thamud, Their Demand for a Sign, and Their Punishment
Allah tells us how Thamud responded to their Prophet Salih, upon him be peace, when he called them to worship their Lord, may He be glorified.
153. They said: "Thou art only one of those bewitched!
Meaning,`how can you receive Revelation when we do not'
154. "Thou art no more than a mortal like us: then bring us a Sign, if thou tellest the truth!"
A crowd of them gathered and demanded that he immediately bring forth from the rock a she-camel that was ten months pregnant, and they pointed to a certain rock in their midst. Allah's Prophet Salih made them promise that if he responded to their request, they would believe in him and follow him. So they agreed to that. The Prophet of Allah Salih, peace be upon him, stood and prayed, then he prayed to Allah to grant them their request. Then the rock to which they had pointed split open, revealing a she-camel that was ten months pregnant, excactly as they had requested. So some of them believed, but most of them disbelieved
155. He said: "Here is a she-camel: she has a right of watering, and ye have a right of watering, (severally) on a day appointed.
Meaning, `she will drink from your water one day, and on the next day you will drink from it.'
156. "Touch her not with harm, lest the Penalty of a Great Day seize you."
He warned them of the punishment of Allah if they should do her any harm. The she-camel
stayed among them for a while, drinking the water, eating leaves and grazing, and they benefitted
from her milk which they took in sufficient quantities for everyone to drink his fill. After this had
gone on for a long time, and the time for their destruction drew near, they conspired to kill her:
157. But they ham-strung her: then did they become full of regrets.
Their land was shaken by a strong earthquake, and there came to them an overwhelming Sayhah (shout) which took their hearts from their places. They were overtaken by events which they were not expecting, so they were left (dead), lying prostrate in their homes.
158. But the Penalty seized them. Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe.
159. And verily thy Lord is He, the Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
Posted by IMA at 1:57 PM